By: Ms. Angy, ECFE Blog Writer
Three years ago our Discovery Preschool Programs adopted a new math curriculum called, Real Math – Building Blocks. Real Math is, “the first program to fully integrate all five strands of mathematical proficiency as defined by today’s research.” The five key proficiencies that students need to achieve math stated by the Real Math curriculum are:
- Understanding: Comprehending mathematical concepts, operations, and relations – knowing what mathematical symbols, diagrams, and procedures mean.
- Computing: Carrying out mathematical procedures, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing numbers flexibly, accurately, efficiently, and appropriately.
- Applying: Being able to formulate problems mathematically and devise strategies for solving them using concepts and procedures appropriately.
- Reasoning: Using logic to explain and justify a solution to a problem or to extend from something known to something not yet known.
- Engaging: Seeing mathematics as sensible, useful, and doable.
The Real Math curriculum combines skill-building and problem-solving instruction that includes technology. Each child is given access to mathematical games, which can be found on the real math website. Since the children login to their own account, each child’s successes and progress can be monitored. This technology resource helps take the classroom to the next level while giving parent’s a great alterative for their child’s computer use at home. Every Discovery classroom has a computer available for the children to use during class time. The children greatly enjoy playing these different math games on the computer, which has provided a variation to learning diverse math skills. “Technology opens the door to mathematical understanding and application that will prepare students for the real world.”
Each day children engage in whole group math activities, small group math activities, and hands on learning in the math center. Each week the children learn and practice a math concept from counting, learning about shapes, measuring, patterns, number recognition, sorting, classifying, adding and subtracting small numbers, and much, much more! Overall, the children are learning through hands on activities and teacher directed instruction, while children’s progress is monitored.
As a preschool teacher, I have enjoyed using this math curriculum. This program offers support and training for teachers. The lessons are very thorough, nicely prepared, and can be easily implemented into any classroom setting. I feel it is very important for children at a young age to develop and understand numerous math skills. The children are often applying and learning math concepts without even realizing it. The activities are engaging and very age appropriate. I want children to feel confident in math and think of it as fun! “Quality mathematics is a joy, not a pressure. It emerges from children’s play, their curiosity, and their natural ability to think.” For more information on the Real Math curriculum please go to:
How do you apply math concepts at home?