By: Angy Talbot (ECFE Blog Writer)
I came across this list about healthy sleep habits from Sleep Education by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. It’s a great “Top 10 List” to keep in mind when you are helping your children learn good sleep habits or in helping yourself get a better night’s sleep!
Sleep is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. It helps you feel, think and perform your best. Therefore, it is critical for you to get a good night’s sleep every night. These top 10 healthy sleep habits will help your child (or yourself) fall asleep faster and sleep well.
- Only use your bed for sleeping.
- Avoid drinking caffeine in the afternoon and at night.
- Avoid taking naps in the late afternoon or in the evening.
- Avoid large meals right before bedtime.
- Dim household lights at night and let in plenty of sunlight in the morning.
- Create a healthy sleep environment in your bedroom with:
A comfortable temperature
No TV or computer
- Turn off all of these items at least 30 minutes before your bedtime:
Movies and videos
- Develop a bedtime routine that helps you relax by:
Eating a healthy snack or light dessert
Brushing your teeth
Taking a warm bath or shower
Listening to relaxing music
- Go to bed at or near the same time every night, even on weekends.
10. Discuss any ongoing sleep problems with your doctor.
For more information on sleep habits go to: